Mobile phone UI/UX design
Used to do freelance design work with #DateMe: An OkCupid test, an off-Broadway musical comedy show combining skits and improv about internet dating.
My contribution: Iterating generate hi-fidelity wireframes for the participatory app that is mobile market users.
The group: we worked straight into the show’s interactive technology group led by Sam Hains, collaborating by having a backend and frontend designer aswell.
#DateMe: An OkCupid test is a musical comedy show that debuted in nyc. The technological themes world of mobile dating apps like Tinder for the NYC adaptation, there was an opportunity to bring in audience participation, as well as modernize.
- Playfully incorporate the viewers in to the show, possibly integrating them into improv product.
- Deliver timed, customized content at tips when you look at the show.
As an element of interactive movie theater (rather than business or tech surroundings) we worked under a restricted spending plan and a super taut manufacturing schedule of two to three months – that have been formative to your choices (and cuts) we made.
Relatedly, we’d additionally love to observe that my designs right right right here may vary somewhat utilizing the app that is actual some areas, because of those limits of the time and spending plan.
My part contained a few stages:
- Gaining familiarity because of the show by viewing previous performances.
- Ending up in the united team lead to go over and refine the working platform for the experience, user moves, and meet an inmate range of interactivity.
- Iterating on designs, collecting feedback from stakeholders (including the show’s journalist, Robyn) and my group.
- Handing down designs, in addition to giving support to the front-end designer as they brought designs to life.
Collaborating with article writers and designers
My work began with several conversations between your tech that is interactive (along with the initial composer of the show) that negotiated the journalist’s eyesight having a usable application that might be realistically built when you look at the period of 2 to 3 months.
Maintaining modularity at heart
All of us wound up choosing A native app that is react to
- Leverage push notifications in an effort to pull market users right back to the software in the exact middle of the show.
- Optimize for both iOS and Android os users , while minimizing designer reasources – all audience was wanted by us people to engage, but had restricted designer resources.
Correctly, we referenced React indigenous components to make sure my designs had been effortlessly adaptable for this UI collection.
Making a “dating-profile”
Like numerous real dating apps, the #DateMe software posseses an onboarding experience focused around establishing a dating software account, incoporating scripted comic bits by the show’s author.
Optimizing for comedy
We desired market people which will make pages that have been funny and susceptible – perhaps perhaps perhaps perhaps not overly curated. This is exactly why we decided on a “dark UX” pattern of maybe perhaps perhaps perhaps not permitting anyone to navigate backwards.
As soon as a gathering user finishes the questionnaire, they may be tossed in to a simulated dating app environment, that allows them to:
- View and share their dating profile, which can be populated from a process that is mad-libs their previous questionnaire.
- Swipe on other audience people after entering a code that is show-specific that allows them to explore whom else has reached the show (but would not trigger any genuine matching or messaging with market people).
Communications from figures
At certain points within the show, market people have communications from figures when you look at the show. We designed a simulated texting environment to put up these communications, additionally checking out what sort of profile web web page might be modified to mirror a match.
Another minute when you look at the show centered on seven typical archetypes discovered in dating pages. The reactions through the match questionnaire had been ultimately utilized to assign every market user one of these brilliant seven dating “species”, and I also designed exactly just exactly how this unveil could come in the application aesthetically.